July 5, 2022
Summer is Here: Tips to Stay Hydrated
If you are new to racing or a seasoned pro, it’s important to stay hydrated - especially in the summer heat. Water is the most important fluid to prevent dehydration and to keep you at your top performance level.
Approximately 60-70% of your body is composed of water. Nearly every body function is water dependent; without it we can become dehydrated leading to muscle cramps, thirst, fatigue, lightheadedness and other unpleasant symptoms. Getting enough water every day keeps your brain sharp and muscles strong. The FluidLogic™ hydration system from RainMaker is the most advanced personal automated drink system available to motorsport drivers navigating everything from competitive high speed racetracks to the off-road terrain of Baja.
Here are some tips to help you stay hydrated for your next race:
Drink Plenty of Water!
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, hydration recommendations are dependent on personal demographics such as age and sex. According to the National Academies of Medicine, women need an average of 2.7 liters of fluid per day while men need about 3.7 liters.
Start by drinking a glass of water when you wake up; increase water intake during physical activity and a glass of water before bed.
Listen to your body - Know the Signs of Dehydration
Dizziness, headaches or muscle fatigue, can be signs of dehydration. Adding electrolytes increase absorption and fluid balance in the body and can improve athletic performance, prevent muscle cramps and reduce fatigue. Prolonged dehydration may become dangerous if not addressed, consult a doctor for medical treatment if symptoms persist. Your urine should fall somewhere between colorless and the color of light straw and honey. When you don't consume enough fluids, your urine becomes more concentrated and turns a darker yellow or amber color.
Sweating & Replacing Electrolytes
During physical activity, additional fluids are needed to replace the water lost in sweat. Fluid loss of 1-2% of your body weight, impares strength, performance and focus, specifically in hot weather. Today’s Dietitian recommends replacing fluids during and after exercise preventing hypohydration. Adding electrolytes can increase absorption and fluid balance in the body, and can improve athletic performance, prevent muscle cramps and reduce fatigue.
Avoid alcohol, sugary drinks, and caffeine
Drinks loaded with sugar and sodium like energy drinks, coffee, soda, smoothies and flavored milk are all liquids that remove water from your body’s tissues. Alcohol is also diuretic and is known to remove fluids causing you to become dehydrated quickly. Consider replacing these choices with plain sparkling water or seltzer.
Infuse water with flavor
Spruce up your water by infusing water with some simple ingredients like mint, strawberries, cucumbers, lemons and limes. This can improve water flavor and help increase fluid intake. Choose plain coconut water to avoid added sugar and flavoring. Coconuts contain potassium and electrolytes to help keep you hydrated.
Not all summer clothing is created equal. During the summer months, regulating your body temperature when the risk of heat stroke is higher is very important. Shield your skin from harmful sun rays by wearing light colored, loose fitting and breathable fabrics.
Eat foods with high-water content
Fruits and veggies like watermelon, cantaloupe, peaches, bell peppers & tomatoes can help you get more fluids. WebMD states 80% of your daily water intake comes from beverages while the other 20% comes from foods. Foods with a high water content contain beneficial nutrients and are a great source of vitamins, fiber and antioxidants for muscle recovery.
97% water: Cucumbers
96% water: Celery
95% water: Lettuce & Radishes
93% water: Bell peppers
92% water: Cauliflower & Watermelon
91% water: Spinach, Strawberries & Broccoli
90% water: Grapefruit & Zucchini
Set Reminders Make a hydration schedule by setting reminders in your phone or digital watch to be notified when to drink more water or snack on fruits and veggies.
Stay Hydrated on the Go Proper hydration will keep your mind and muscles focused on the race. Remember to stay safe, cool, and hydrated this summer!
RainMaker is at the forefront of active hydration, aiding the performance of athletes in motorsports and more with automated drink systems that simplify body hydration. Our innovative line of FluidLogic products make hydration simple and efficient.
FluidLogic is an intuitive, automated, active hydration system, featuring quick release magnetic connectors and a sleek, ergonomic design. Our system is created for decision-makers and end-users in all motorsports industries who are looking for an edge in performance, and athletes of all disciplines who want to increase their performance.